So many breakfast meals include a lot of sugar that I am not trying to give my toddler just yet. I wanted to let my little guy try out french toast but syrup wasn’t happening so I had to come up with an alternative. Fruit is naturally sweet and I love using it as an alternative to sugar. After a little thought, I decided to test out adding a little non-sweetened apple sauce to the french toast. It was was a hit! Check out the recipe below.
Easy Peasy French Toast With Apple Sauce
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1/4 cup milk
- 4 slices of bread
- 1 3.9oz cup of natural (no sugar added) applesauce
- Whisk egg, vanilla and cinnamon in bowl
- Stir in milk
- Dip bread into egg mixture, coating both sides evenly
- Grease skillet and set to medium heat
- Cook bread slices until lightly browned on both sides
- Spread applesauce on top of bread
- Cut into slices and serve!